Program Description and Fees
SHORT LEARN TO SKATE
January 7 - 30, Tuesdays and Thursdays 5:00pm to 5:45pm at Lions Arena, 2205 McEown Ave
During the months of September and January, the SLSSC operates two 8-session Short Learn-to-Skate programs. These are lessons designed to jump-start the beginner skater, ages 4 years and older. Skaters wear their own hockey or figure skates. Skaters are segregated on the ice into smaller groups according to skill level. This is to ensure that there is a good ratio of coaches to skaters. It also allows skaters to move to higher levels of training when they are ready as individuals. There are extra "on-ice helpers" from the senior level in each of the groups to help provide kids with individual attention.
Fee credits are given toward Regular Season fees if skaters decide to continue.
Regular Season programs begin in October at the Lions Arena with our indoor Short Track program.
Skaters are segregated on the ice into smaller groups according to skill level. This is to ensure that there is a good ratio of coaches to skaters. It also allows skaters to progress to higher levels of training when they are ready as individuals. Most young skaters start on hockey or figure skates and progress to speed skates when they are ready (rentals available).
As skaters progress, they have the option to race in meets held in Saskatoon, across Saskatchewan and beyond. For young skaters, races are segregated into very small groups based on ability so that they are always matched with other skaters at a very similar speed, regardless of age. A skater is not allowed to bump or push another skater and there are disqualifications when this happens. Skater are supported by coaches at the meets. The races are exciting for families to watch and a great growth opportunity for the skaters.
The Regular Season Programs are divided into four groups for instruction and training based on ability. Click on one of the following for information.
To help families and the club manage costs, Regular Season (Group) Fees are broken into 3 components:
- Registration Fee Amount – payable upon registration
- Fundraising Fee Amount – a cheque post-dated to March 31, 2019 is collected and families have the option to work off this amount by participating in fundraising
- Volunteering Fee Amount – a cheque post-dated to March 31, 2019 is collected and families have the option to work off this amount by volunteering at meets and events; 1 unit is approximately 8 hours
Where families have more than one child in the club, Fundraising and Volunteering are 100% for the oldest skater and 50% for additional, younger skaters in the family; see “Second+ Skater” lines in Fee Schedule.
Registration Fees include SASSA and SSC Memberships where applicable. In addition, at least one parent must purchase an Associate Membership in the club, at a cost of $25 for each parent.
Click here for program fee amounts: 2019 – 2020 SLSSC Fee Schedule
Welcome New Members: Need to Know
On meet and greet night, you will be able to::
- Pick up your skates (if renting)
- Find help with online registration
- Hand in post-dated cheques for fundraising and volunteer amounts
- Speak to coaches, board members and other skaters
You should be aware of the following SLSSC policies:
- Registration fees must be paid in full
- Fundraising and Volunteer cheques should be post dated to March 31
- Cheques must be received by the Club prior to the child going on the ice to skate
- An additional levy of $15 will be charged for NSF cheques
- Refund Policy (for Registration Fee Portion only):
– Full Season
– Prior to Dec 31st 50% refund
– After Dec 31st 50% refund with Dr.’s Note
– Half Season/SLTS: No refund after first night of skating
Our Need to Know Booklet has much of the information you need to get started with the club. Access it here: